So glad you've come...

Welcome to Tigressland, my own personal little corner of the Internet where I hang out expressing my views about the smaller things in life. No controversy here (I'm saving that for the book lol) just the everyday minutiae that add up to my rather unpredictable, but always fun, life! So pull up a cushion and come chill.....and follow! We bloggers love it when you follow ;-) ~Tigress

Thursday 5 January 2012

I'm not sure about this...

Sometimes, I know, I am going to blog about quite profound and meaningful things. Things that nip at our higher consciousness like a hungry Chiahuahua nips at the heels of its owner at dinnertime. And I will no doubt relish those times...but today, my friends, ain't one of them. Today I begin as if to create a blog of small things on an apparently innocuous subject that still managed to give me no end of f**king difficulty!

Now anyone who knows me, knows I am not the most culinarily gifted person. Sure, I can roast things and have been known to produce a half-decent cake once in a while, but as for the finer food oriented arts...well that's where things start to get a bit tatty. Thus it is still perplexing to me as to why, the other day, I decided to make jam.

Actually, I should be more precise; I ATTEMPTED to make jam. With a flurry of domestic fervour that would make Martha Stewart weak at the knees, I had a pot on the stove within seconds of deciding my plan. And into this was hurled (as my recipe stated) the requisite 2kg (approx 4 1/2 lb for those of you of an imperial bent) of plums and a bit of water...so far so good.

I was hopeful I must admit, standing there in my modest kitchen. I was thinking: "I can do this". And surely, I felt, fortune will smile fondly upon one so eager to extend her creative abilities...surely. Well after halving and stoning over 100 pissant little plums, I sure as hell hoped it would!

"Boil until soft and pulpy." the recipe continued: not rocket science. Hurl in 7 Cups of sugar: doneski. Simmer for 15 mins or until setting point is reached.....now this is where I encountered technical difficulties.

At this point, many an historic tale of jam-making woe leapt to the forefront of my consciousness. As I stirred my bubbling mixture, I recalled how, just the day before, the gifter of my current plums stated: "We had to use it for ice-cream topping it was so runny." Nice. And I was even more newbie than she'd been! But, I resolved, this was not going to happen to me! I was determined that my prized creation was not going to suffer the same fate. I would reach that setting point if it took all damn day....and by the looks of the progress so far...it was going to.

After a further 15mins I could still have piddled thicker than the consistency of what was dripping off the end of my spoon so on for another 15 it went. I'm sure I had a penis in a previous life for it was about now than I decided to actually read the instructions. Don't get me wrong, I was following the recipe to the letter...I had just failed to notice that there was a wee tutorial at the front of the section.

Apparently you are not supposed to have your "preserving pan" (WTF is a preserving pan??...Oh never mind) more than a third full.

Oh.

Well that could explain things a little. Let's just keep that a bubblin' a while longer. The timer went off, which I promptly ignored and it wasn't until I detected the slight 'odour de jamstucktobottomofpot' that I thought I'd better investigate. After a wee stir though, I felt all was well, and the elusive set-point may indeed have been reached. I tried the next test on the list and dropped some of my concoction onto a cold plate. Holy crap, it did all the things it was supposed to so into my beautifully sterilized jars it went.

I make that sound so simple don't I?

Do you have any idea what a bitch it is to get a searing hot liquid into a searing hot jar from a bloody great pot? Hence why half a jarful ended up spread across the stovetop. I wasn't amused. But I persevered and eventually all my jam went into jars.

And did indeed set...

...kinda like meatloaf.

But sort of raisin-flavoured.

*sigh*

It was not my best work, but it was edible...just. So long as you didn't try and spread it with a plastic fork.

*sigh*...again

Meh...I prefer peanut butter anyway

No comments:

Post a Comment